Skip to main content

I am an Athlete!

Many years ago I did a weekend camp for marathon runners.

I will always remember that the chap who ran it (an former Olympic runner) said

"Every single one of you here is an Athlete. It doesn't matter what speed you run at you are an athlete. If you put your trainers on and train then you are an athlete"

So that's me.

I'm an Athlete in Training.

Why an athlete in training and not just an athlete? Well I firmly believe that we can always improve. Or aim to improve in one small way or another. Perfection is not a thing and therefore we are always improving and therefore training!

One thing that Ami has said is that the mind likes to work, to be used and to do "stuff" (she might have been more technical than me there!). So if you stop using it and doing things then you are actually doing your brain harm. Not using your brain is the worse thing you can do - it is, just like your muscles, a case of use it or lose it. And the less you use your brain the greater the chance of Alzheimer's disease. So l keep using you brain and challenging it.

I am currently in a job that does not make me smile in any way. I know I am not using my brain. I was a teacher for 7 years, when I was constantly having to use my brain to learn things as well as teach things so not having anything to do and not using my brain is driving me mad. (It really doesn't help that I work for a biscuit company and when I am bored I eat!)

And this is how Ami has helped me.

This is how I came to be plotting my escape and move to a more fulfilling job. I am hoping that by the new year I will be on the path to becoming a swimming teacher.

I can swim and I can teach and I love exercise so it seems a good combination.

I have already been able to use my mind by taking a couple of online courses with the Institute of Swimming and it is very much evident that I will have lots to learn too.

As an athlete this can only help me. If I am working for the gym I can use the gym for free so can do more of the strength work that I know I should do but don't. I can learn more about the body and how to use the machines and the free weights to optimise my running body and maybe get back to being a triathlete too!

My long term aim is to be fast enough to qualify for The London Marathon! This needs less body fat, more fitness and more speed. So I will be in training for a long time!

I will be training both body and mind as the miles needed to get to the position where I can qualify means I need to take care of my body and fuel it properly. To have a positive mindset and be kinder to myself.

I have lots of things that I can expand my mind on which in turn will help me to become my own coach and plan my training rather than just running as I do now.

At the moment though I am tapering for a race next weekend. I did the same race last year and have trained a lot better this year and hope to take up  to 30 mins off my time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Journey

Welcome back to the Athlete in Training . Here I am still running and still wanting to change and improve. I've been working with Ami Porter and I have taken her Clear and Clarity 28 day programme which has been a huge help to me. I have been lucky to have had Ami as a friend for several years now. When I was teaching she was a great friend and ear when stress took over my life and since then she has trained as a Life Coach. I am looking to change my career - I currently work for McVities and I am lucky enough that I can change to working part time and I have asked for this to happen.  My goal is to train as a swimming teacher!  As I can now work part time I want to do a job that makes me happy and that feels good. I loved teaching and working with the kids and I have always liked helping people. As someone who also loves exercise when I saw that there was an opportunity to work at the pool it seemed ideal.  So, thanks to Ami I have been making plans. My short term plan was to unde

Memories

I was 3 when my mother left - I dont remember much but I do remember things. I remember my dad stood at the front door and my mum holding my hand jsut 4ft away. She wouldn't let me get my teddy. She wouldn't let go of my hand. She said it was daddy's fault I didn't have my teddy. Daddy should have packed it. I remember a new uncle coming round a lot. He always had a pad of paper and a pen. He wore a suit and always asked lots of questions about how we were. We being my older sister and I. I remember being left alone in the house whilst she chatted on the phone. I climbed on the kitchen sides as I was hungry and she wasn't listening to me. I ate a pot of multi-vitamin tablets thinking they were smarties. Daddy found the empty packet and took me to casualty. I remember my mother taking me for a walk - 1/2m down the road. She used the phone box. It was one of the old red ones. It's still there now. She made a call and left me outside for over half an hour. I rememb

Gulp

I'm strangely nervous about tomorrow. I know it's only 2.5m (x2!) but there will only be a max of 50 runners per leg (only 45 teams last year I think). I'm sure my 12mm pace will be last. I have a lovely casserole (loadsa spuds!) for tea tonight and 2 glasses of wine. I'm now on the non-alcoholic fluids. The lucozade is ready to make and I'm still not sure what to wear! I was going for shorts and vest. Then capri legs and crop top/vest but I'm not sure! If I'm cold/cool I will run faster! But then I don't want to burn up and crash or freeze waiting for the start. If I wear layers will I be too hot .... blah blah blah. Help!! Still not sure what to do "gadget wise". Just watch and guess extra mileage, GPS and stop/start with each warm up, race and cool down, HRM and GPS or just HRM and watch!??!! I'm thinking that I will do leg 1 (1.5m) as a warm up leaving before the race to make sure I am ready. Then stop for some stretches and strides. Th